Friday, March 12, 2010

3.12

Did: cutting, collecting, restringing plastic (7+ hours)
researching photographers I came across (1 hr)
Friday pool photo shoot & prep (4+ hours)

Discovered: So, Florida was not the super productive break that I had expected, but I would like to say that the weather was greatly at fault for this. The temperatures were 15 degrees colder than average for the time of year making up the coldest string of days since 1958. Yay spring break!!! My grandma's pool was not heated and so I wasn't able to take advantage of it... I did complete a photo shoot last night and I will start going through the images and editing them.

Florida was productive on another level though. I walked the beach a lot (in a sweatshirt :) and went to the Florida aquarium. I began taking picture of organisms I found that had interesting patterns and forms.





Here are some of the new forms that I have been working on:


I think there might be a lot of potential to utilize shadow in the gallery space:



I found the photographers David Liittschwager & Susan Middleton who focus on animals that are endangered. They began a series in the Pacific and came across an albatross that had died from ingesting plastic. They photographed the bird and then removed the plastic contents and photographed them separately:Do: GET TO WORK. I'm slightly freaked out by our lack of time. I need to make a final decision soon about whether or not I am going to have the plastic pieces in the gallery space. I plan to meet with Mark again personally to discuss my options and show him the projection that I have started putting together.

1 comment:

  1. Courtney,

    Sorry to hear that the weather did not cooperate, but it sounds as if you found a way to make your time there productive. The new plastic pieces are really beautiful.

    My inclination is that you should find a way to have the plastic pieces have some presence in the space -- even if they are hanging out of view and what we experience is their (moving?) shadows.... the pieces are interesting in their own right.

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete