Friday, January 22, 2010

new video

Did: finishing up video/slideshow (2 hrs)
organizing studio, moving stuff into new second studio :) (2 hrs)
cutting plastic (6 hrs)
printing 4x6 images & meeting w/ chris pullman (2 hrs)
gluing plastic pieces & installing/hanging pieces (2 hrs)

Discovered:


I definitely realized that I am not happy with the slideshow/video that I made (I am trying to avoid the use of the word 'slideshow'...hah). But I think making it was still valuable. The feedback made me realize that the images might be moving too quickly, making the piece repetitive. Also, the video is definitely, and apparently, lower in quality than the images. The images tend to "pop" out when compared to the video. I love a lot of the qualities of the video, but I feel like the combination of the two is definitely missing something at this point... it just isn't working. If the video quality was higher, I would definitely jump on the chance to expand the video work. However, due to the time constraints of IP I am much more inclined to focus on still images alone. My next step in video work will be experimenting with cross dissolving images VERY slowly into each other.

Another helpful aspect of my video-creation was learning how interested I am in playing with sound. I am becoming much more interested in creating a score of tones and underwater breathing noises to accompany my projected images.

After meeting with Stephanie, I think one of my more immediate steps will be working on some of the physical pieces for installation. I am planning on creating a more complete installation in my second studio space :) images will be coming soon.

Do: I will continue to work on the sculptural pieces and play around with installing them. I am also going to try and experiment with the video and sound portions of my project.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Courtney-

    Do you know the work of Tara Donovan? She's great, and she does some unbelievable installations with plastic materials.

    http://www.acegallery.net/artistmenu.php?Artist=8
    http://www.mcasd.org/exhibitions/exhibition.php?EID=194

    Let me know what you think-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney,
    Congratulations on the new studio. That will help out tremendously. I am really excited to see you start playing with the installation of these forms and how they might evolve in this sort of repurposing display. Keep up the momentum!
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda - Yes, I love Tara Donovan :) Erica suggested that I look at her work earlier in the year and I used examples of her work in my December review. I have yet to look into the last artist you suggested, I only briefly looked at a couple images, but I really appreciate it! Thanks!

    Hi Erica - I can't wait to start actually installing some things! Stop by :D

    ReplyDelete