Friday, January 15, 2010

sound?

Did: working on video/slideshow (4 hrs)
organizing plastic materials in my studio (2.5 hrs)
cutting plastic (3 hrs)
scheduling pool time at NCRB (1/2 hr)
distracting myself by researching grants, artist residencies, etc (3 + hrs)

Discovered: while working on the video/slideshow this week I realized that sound could play a really important role, especially if I want my audience to become immersed in an environment... I had thought about using sound before, but I think actually making the video has really influenced me. There were a lot of reactions to the sound of the bubbles from my breathing in the last video and I think I should explore ways to incorporate it. I think progress on the visual aspect of the piece is going well, but I am hoping that feedback during the crit on tuesday will help me out :)

Olivia also sent me this website, which I am excited to explore further:

http://www.messageinthewaves.com/


I also looked up Sigur Ros videos (they are an Icelandic band) after Erica mentioned them. I have loved them ever since I went to Iceland after my freshman year, but I haven't really watched their videos.... This one is particularly relevant to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yjurf5d6X0


Do: Finish up my video/slideshow for Tuesday & work on sound :D

1 comment:

  1. Hi Courtney,

    Sounds like you're on a good track. I'm excited that you're deciding to work with sound- I think that combination has real potential.

    I found this NY artist: Miwa Koizumi, and she also makes cnidaria-esque creatures out of plastic. I thought you could look at some of her methods of presenting her pieces... she uses installation with light and glass boxes to create a different effect. Let me know what you think-
    (http://miwa.metm.org/PET_project/)

    - Amanda

    ReplyDelete