Tuesday, February 2, 2010

2.5

Did: cutting, gluing, sewing, assembling, installing plastic (9+ hrs)
critique & thinking about future install possibilites (1/2 hr)
emailing contacts about printing images and sound (1/2 hr)
working with Katherine Weider to create a short video piece about my project (1.5 hrs)
running around organizing for my pool photo shoot tonight (3+ hrs)
dreaming & researching about south pacific islands (2+ hrs)

Discovered: My apologies for not posting this by noon today, but I have been running around like crazy getting everything in order for my photo shoot tonight. I am pretty excited that Katherine Weider will be coming to film the process for a short video piece that she is making. I will have new underwater photos to post soon :D

I have also been thinking a lot about the possibilities for installing the work in a gallery setting. I want to make sure I avoid making the piece look like a fancy lighting display at Ikea. Don't get me wrong, Ikea has a special place in my heart, but that is not exactly what I'm going for. I am thinking about pieces that might be installed on the floor and I am also thinking about the shape of the projection. In critique Liz brought up that it might be interesting to think about projecting the images in a circular shape on the wall. I don't know what that will do to the images themselves, but it might be an interesting way to make the audience forget that the piece is just a projection on the wall. If I project the images on the wall as a rectangle, I think I want to take up the entire wall... this makes me realize that the location for my final installation will be really important so I am excited to talk to Mark or Stephen about my gallery space.

I also really like how interesting the responses have been to the mini-installation I put up in the IP studios. Everyone has responded to the pieces by saying that they look like some kind of organic form:

kelp,
cells,
spores,
fruit,
jellyfish...
etc.

Do: I'm excited about my photo shoot tonight! After the shoot I will need to process and edit the images, and get back to thinking about what I will be projecting. I am going to attempt to create another loop of images which cross dissolve into each other over much longer periods of time.


1 comment:

  1. Courtney,

    Katherine is great. I am sure you will get a lot out of talking and working with her.

    I don't know if you have had any classes with Tirtza Even, but she might be able to offer some advice on alternative projection of imagery. Likewise Cynthia Pachikara.

    A circular projection might be pretty technically challenging, I wonder if projecting on even two adjacent walls might accomplish something of what you're after? You might want to consider other venues for showing your work....

    Sounds like lots of good stuff going on as usual!
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete